3 Mini Movie Reviews

Through some rare time fluctuation where both our schedules sync'd for once (i.e., Lisa had the weekend off from the hospital), we were able to catch 3 flicks on Friday and Sunday. Ironically, none of these movies were films we were hoping to see -- Lisa wanted to see Pelham 123, and I wanted to see Moon, but neither of us wanted to see both. What we ended up seeing were three comedies instead.

Since I don't have the energy to write out full and detailed reviews of all three, here are just my quick impressions:

The Proposal: Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds were awesome as two people who hate each other yet grow to love one another. I totally bought their chemistry, and the comedic timing was excellent! They were truly a joy to watch together onscreen, and the film itself had some genuine laugh-out-loud moments. But the nice build-up of the plot doesn't pay off during the climax, and the film nosedives to a crash landing in the end. Very strange, but at least 2/3rds of the movie is worth watching. Rating: 6/10

Year One: I really like Jack Black and Michael Cera in their previous respective movies. And in this one, they were pretty good. Again, the comedic chemistry was for the most part on point between the two. And, of course, I got to feast my eyes on the lovely Olivia Wilde, who is just stunning in here despite the small role. But, I'm afraid there just wasn't enough funny to go around. Quite a few of the set-ups were drawn-out and lame -- particularly the scenes involving the Hunter-Gatherers at the beginning, and the Cain and Abel stuff. Unfortunately, the story goes nowhere and even the jokes dry up halfway through. Skip this one at all costs. Rating: 3/10

The Hangover: Finally, we have a winnar! I don't know how to describe this one, except that it's like the epitome of every road trip comedy you've ever seen -- but with BALLS! Both figuratively and, unfortunately . . . literally. I like even more the fact that none of the lead actors in here are big names. I mean, when Bradley Cooper is the top billing name on the credits, you know you're not dealing with Hollywood's A-list in the movie you're about to see. No offense to Mr. Cooper, who I actually do think is a great method actor. But yes, all I can say is to GO SEE THIS! Like, right now!! Oh, and I'm so glad my Vegas pre-wedding night didn't go anywhere near the territory this film treads. It takes the old Vegas adage to the limits! Rating: 8/10

Hope you all had a good weekend. If you've seen any of these movies and would like to add your own comments, please feel free to do so below.