Guess Who's Back? (Back Again)


Had a good time in San Diego, but I'm glad to be back. There's only but so much reading, walking, and movie watching one can do before you're dying to get back home and attend to business. Which for me -- in addition to the 9 to 5 -- means buckling down and really analyzing where I want to go with my writing. I think I'm going to be trying a few new radical procedures, including looking for a new crit group to join. The one I'm in right now doesn't seem to have as many serious writers as I would like. In other words, they don't seem to be the same kind of hungry as I am at this moment. Which is cool, don't get me wrong. But I need more like-minded souls who are on the same journey as me. Also, finding a group that is more focused on sci-fi (rather than fantasy) would be a huge plus. Gotta see what comes of my search, but I have a few leads I'll be looking into.

I also need to find more friends to read my work. This is always tricky, as friends make the worst critics. Luckily, I don't really require critique from them . . . just a general "I liked it/didn't like it." Of course, finding friends who have the time to read is the real crux of the problem. We're all so busy.

Anyway, I'm back for a little while. I know it seems like I've been jet-setting all over the place as of late, but actually it's only been two cities in the course of two months. No biggie. I wish I could say I'm done for the year, but to be honest I could do with another trip. I find that I like travelling, and am pretty good at planning and organizing the little details that go into a successful excursion. I would like to take a really nice, relaxing Caribbean vacay next, though. Some place where I can just lie on the beach all week and maybe do some snorkeling or take scuba lessons or some such. Let's see, I've been to: Jamaica, Haiti, The Caymans, and Cozumel already. I have an active dislike for Puerto Rico and/or the Dominican Republic (don't ask why, it's a long story), and parts of the Bahamas are way too touristy and crowded for what I want. So I'm looking at St. Lucia, Virgin Islands, or Bonaire (pictured above) as possibilities. The last one is particularly interesting because it is so off the beaten path of the more obvious tourist destinations, yet it also offers sublime beauty and excellent snorkeling/diving to boot!

But alas, I fear we don't have the time off from work saved up to take another trip so soon. Well, actually, I do, but it would require me dipping into my customary two-week-recharge holiday I take every year around Xmas time. This is the time I usually just sit around the house and veg out as I mentally store myself for the year to come.

Well why don't you just wait until the end of the year to go on your Caribbean retreat instead, you say? Hmmm, you bring up a good point. I might just do that! That is, if we don't end up going back to Paris for the holidays! :)

What about anyone else? Any exciting travel plans coming up?