My Mutant Power

Went to the dentist this morning for a routine check-up and cleaning. My appointment was at 10:40, and I walked through the door . . . exactly at 10:40. Like, on the dot. The hygienist looked up and smiled, then said to the receptionist: "Yup, what did I tell you? Always on time!"

Heh, heh. Guess they're not used to patients showing up on time. But what can I say, I'm a stickler for punctuality. I have this sick ability to always manage to show up exactly when I say I'm going to.

Everyone around me knows this.

When I rented the Zipcar that one time, Tarrell told me to pick him up at 12, and even despite traffic hang-ups and a small technicality at the garage, I still managed to pull up in front of the building at 11:57. The thing is, it's not like I was speeding or anything to make it on time. I somehow *know* when exactly to leave my house depending on the situation, whether I'm treading on new ground (driving to a destination) or familiar territory (taking the subway). The only times I've been horrendously late was when the ole NYC metro system throws me a curve ball and grounds to a halt for no explicable reason.

Otherwise, I'm quite dependable. Most of this is due to my anal need for order and reliability in my life. I expect others to keep to their word and be on time, and it's because I demand no less of myself.

But there's been a few times where even when I don't get to leave my house when I had planned to . . . somehow the travel gods look out for me and manage to get me to my destination RIGHT ON TIME. Not 5 minutes early. Not 15 minutes late. But almost right on the dot! It never fails. And it's just a little spooky, to be honest.

So yeah, if I have any mutant powers, this is it. True, I'd rather have supersonic flight, or maybe the ability to freeze time (imagine how much sleep you could get!). But that's life, I guess. :)